Catching up with Lara Spencer! Not only seeing her daily on ABC’s Good Morning America @LaraSpencer; she’s has her passion for design! Since 2012, HGTV’s Flea Market Flip has been putting teams to the test. The test is to see their potential in a flea market find and refurbish to flip in order sell; based on their design visual!
A flea market search takes a bit of skill and you have to have a knack to haggle; but politely and you have to be willing to know your choice is doable for a flip on this show.
Teams of two perform a playful and strategic battle to win all the profits earned that day, the true winner will be the viewer at home, who will have a variety of exciting ideas to inspire them as they begin their next project around their own home!
Whether you are shabby chic, eclectic, retro, traditional or punk…your ideas for a flip are welcomed. The show is fun and gives you great ideas! Check your TV listings on HGTV to watch Flea Market Flip, visit your local flea market and have some fun; you never know what you might find! 🙂
Here’s more information on the Brooklyn Flea Market in NYC: BrooklynFlea.
Lara Spencer shared her other wise tips for a successful day at the sales:
1. Always carry a notebook with ideas, dimensions and inspirational photos. Spencer says, “Finding you style is like putting puzzle pieces together.”
2. Have an open mind.
3. Get there early.
4. Go to the last row first and make your way back. (OK, this one may be superstitious!)
5. Go through the entire market twice — you’ll catch things you missed the first time.
6. Don’t hesitate to buy something you love. You snooze, you lose.
7. Cash is king. It’s much harder to negotiate for a good price when you paying with a credit card.
8. Kill ’em with kindness. This one’s from Spencer’s mother — don’t ever insult a seller’s goods or prices.
9. No idea where to start? Spencer suggested first going to high-end antique shops first so when you’re hunting for bargains at the markets you’ll know when you’ve found a deal.
My tip: Is if the seller has a lot of big items, wait to closing and you will probably get a deal on the item you had your eyes on! There’s nothing worse than organizing to load up the truck when you don’t want to take it back!
I’d had the pleasure of meeting the beautiful Lara Spencer at a few Housing Works and Design On A Dime charitable events held in NYC. Lara has so many hats, a Mom, Producer and Director! She also is a writer, who parlayed a love of flea-market shopping into several books, the latest being “Flea Market Fabulous: Designing Gorgeous Rooms with Vintage Treasures,” released last year. She hosted “Antiques Roadshow” and created “Flea Market Flip” on HGTV and Great American Country and “I Brake for Yard Sales” on HGTV. Lara was named a co-host at “GMA” in April after serving as a lifestyle anchor for the popular morning show since 2011.
Flea Market Flip logos and photos registered to HGTV®